Legendary Wu-Tang Clan rapper Raekwon has spent decades serving up novelistic story songs rooted in the criminal underworld of his native New York.
• Raekwon attended middle school with future Wu member Ghostface Killah and high school with future bandmates Method Man and Inspectah Deck.
• In 1992, he joined Wu-Tang Clan, the Staten Island collective whose landmark 1993 debut, Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), would change the face of rap.
• Riding the wave of success, Raekwon signed a solo deal with Loud Records in 1994. The following year, he released his first solo album, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…, which debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 and was dubbed an instant classic.
• In 2009, after years of delays, Raekwon released Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. II, a critically acclaimed sequel to his masterpiece.
• On 2017’s The Wild, Raekwon attempted to blend his classic flow with modern production elements. It was his first album without any features from Wu-Tang members.
HOMETOWNNew York, NY [Brooklyn]
BORNJanuary 12, 1970