Reggae-fusion band Magic! blend old-school reggae influences with elements of rock and pop for a distinctive and catchy take on a classic sound.
• Magic! grew out of a studio collaboration between singer Nasri Atweh and guitarist Mark Pellizzer, who were part of a group that worked together on the 2012 song “Don’t Judge Me” for the R&B singer Chris Brown.
• Though all four members of Magic! are from the Toronto area, the band formed in Los Angeles in 2012 after Atweh proposed a band that sounded “like a modern-day Police” to Pellizzer.
• The quartet’s first single, 2013’s “Rude,” is about a young man asking his girlfriend’s father for permission to marry her—and being rejected. The song was a global hit, climbing into the upper reaches of pop charts across Latin America and Europe and peaking at No. 1 in the US.
• Magic! backed Shakira on her song “Cut Me Deep,” from her self-titled LP in 2014, and contributed to the David Guetta track “Sun Goes Down” on his 2014 album Listen.
• Atweh and Adam Messinger comprised the production duo The Messengers before Atweh started Magic! with Pellizzer. Messinger has cowritten songs on the first three Magic! albums, which he also coproduced.
ORIGINToronto, Ontario, Canada