Calling himself “the biggest thing since Mac Dre,” Bay Area producer-turned-rapper Iamsu! ascended to stardom while staying true to the quintessential West Coast sound.
• Iamsu! spent much of his youth in his aunt’s recording studio. However, it wasn’t until high school that he began making beats through a local Bay Area youth program.
• In high school, he and two friends founded the rap crew HBK (“Heartbreak”) Gang. After a few group releases, Iamsu! kicked off his solo career with Su! The Right Thing in 2010.
• Iamsu! produced, cowrote, and performed on Bay Area rapper LoveRance’s gold-certified “Up!” in 2011. He later featured on E-40’s 2012 hit “Function.”
• In 2013, Iamsu! and Compton rapper Problem released Million Dollar Afro. The project was named one of the year’s best rap releases by SPIN.
• His autobiographical 2014 debut album, Sincerely Yours, went Top 10 on Billboard’s Top Rap Albums and Top Independent Albums charts.
BORNNovember 17, 1989