About The Cardigans
Swedish pop group The Cardigans became an international success when their 1996 single “Lovefool” appeared on the soundtrack to the film Romeo + Juliet. The song remains the band’s biggest hit.
• The Cardigans formed in 1992 and released their debut, Emmerlang, in 1994. The album first came out in Sweden and Japan. An international re-release followed in 1997.
• “Lovefool” came from the group’s third album, 1996’s First Band on the Moon, which hit No. 2 in Sweden and cracked the Top 40 in the US and the Top 20 in the UK.
• In the US, “Lovefool” reached No. 2 on Billboard’s Radio Songs chart, and in the UK, it was No. 2 on the pop charts. Two additional singles from the album, “Been It” and “Your New Cuckoo,” were minor UK hits.
• The Cardigans appeared in a 1997 episode of Beverly Hills, 90210, where they performed “Lovefool” and “Been It” at Kelly Taylor’s graduation party.
• The band’s fourth album, Gran Turismo, charted across Europe, reaching No. 1 in Sweden and No. 8 in the UK.
• After a five-year break, The Cardigans returned with Long Gone Before Daylight in 2003, followed by Super Extra Gravity in 2005. Both topped the charts in Sweden.
• The band continues to perform occasionally in concert but hasn’t released an album since 2005.
• Guitarist Peter Svensson has found outside success as a songwriter and producer for acts including Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, and One Direction.