With his mix of pop and R&B, SoMo went from viral sensation to major label signee and scored a platinum hit with his 2013 single “Ride.”
• SoMo is Texas native Joseph Somers-Morales, who first sang on stage when he was six.
• After setting music aside for much of his childhood, he started up again in 2009, after his mom gave him a piano for Christmas. He figured out how to play Chris Brown’s “Crawl” and posted a video of himself performing the tune. It quickly went viral.
• SoMo scored another viral hit with a medley of songs from Drake’s 2011 album Take Care.
• He soon began working on original material and released his debut mixtape, My Life, in 2012. The single “Ride” took off, earning him a deal with Republic Records.
• Released in 2014, his self-titled debut album reached No. 2 on Billboard’s Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and made No. 6 on the all-genre Billboard 200. The single “Ride” went platinum.
• SoMo returned to being an indie artist after his 2017 sophomore album, The Answers. He’s since released two more albums, including 2020’s I Had Another Dream.
BORNSeptember 11, 1987