Aptly named SBTRKT (pronounced “subtract”), masked UK DJ and producer Aaron Jerome prefers to leave his identity out of his genre-blurring electronic music.
• Jerome grew up on a farm and expected to pursue that line of work. But after the radio introduced him to UK house and garage music, he abandoned his agricultural plans.
• After getting his start as a DJ in the late 2000s, Jerome moved into production and quickly began generating buzz with remixes and collaborations with artists such as Jessie Ware.
• His 2011 self-titled debut album features vocalists like Sampha and Jessie Ware. “Wildfire,” a collaboration with the Swedish electronic group Little Dragon, made its way to Drake, who guests on the remix.
• To record his 2014 sophomore album, Wonder Where We Land, Jerome retreated to Osea, a remote island off the coast of Essex, and assembled a makeshift studio. The LP made the Top 20 of the UK charts and reached No. 3 on Billboard’s Top Dance/Electronic Albums chart in the US.
• With his 2016 project SAVE YOURSELF, SBTRKT explored topics such as racism, xenophobia, and political greed.
• He maintains his anonymity by obscuring his face with modern ceremonial masks crafted by anonymous designer A Hidden Place.