About Phony Ppl
Comprising five prodigious musicians who met in high school, the Brooklyn band Phony Ppl merge funk, soul, jazz, Latin music, and much more to create a fully original sound.
• Phony Ppl came together in 2008 and began playing in a basement in Brooklyn’s Bed-Stuy neighborhood.
• The band self-released a string of albums, including 2009’s WTF is Phonyland, 2012’s Phonyland, and 2015’s Yesterday's Tomorrow, which peaked an No. 24 on Billboard’s Heatseekers Albums chart.
• Later in 2015, Phony Ppl made their television debut by backing up rapper Fetty Wap as he performed his hit “Trap Queen” on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
• Phony Ppl signed with 300 Entertainment before releasing their 2018 album mō'zā-ik. The LP features tracks honed while touring with Kali Uchis and doing a residency at the Blue Note Jazz Club.
• In 2019, Phony Ppl also served as Megan Thee Stallion’s backing band for her NPR Tiny Desk Concert. Together, they debuted their collaborative single “Fkn Around.”
ORIGINNew York, NY [Brooklyn]