Mýa is a classic triple threat—singer, dancer, actress—who emerged as an R&B superstar in the late ’90s and early ’00s.
• The Washington, D.C., native excelled at dancing before she was a singer. She took ballet, tap, and jazz lessons beginning at age two and even attended a workshop with famed tap dancer Savion Glover.
• After deciding to pursue singing full-time, Mýa signed with Interscope Records in 1996 at the age of 16.
• Her 1998 debut single “It's All About Me,” featuring Sisqó, peaked at No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100.
• In 2002, she joined Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Pink, and Missy Elliott for a remake of the 1974 Labelle smash "Lady Marmalade.” Appearing on the soundtrack for the film Moulin Rouge!, the single topped the Billboard Hot 100 for five weeks and won a Grammy for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals.
• Mýa has also appeared in such films as Chicago (2002), Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (2004), and Shall We Dance? (2004).
• In 2017, Mýa earned a Grammy nomination for Best R&B Album for her seventh album, Smoove Jones.
BORNOctober 10, 1979