J.I the Prince of N.Y
About J.I the Prince of N.Y
Rapper J.I the Prince of N.Y combines classic NYC-style rugged lyricism with modern trap sounds to create his signature melodic fusion.
• Hailing from Crown Heights, Brooklyn, J.I realized his passion for writing through English class—his favorite school subject—at age 11. He began freestyling that same year.
• J.I was inspired by rap legends like 2Pac, Big Pun, Nas, and The Notorious B.I.G.
• Famed rap mogul Jermaine Dupri discovered J.I’s rap videos on Instagram. This landed J.I on the second season of Dupri’s reality competition show The Rap Game in 2016.
• In 2019, J.I inked a deal with Interscope Records in partnership with G•STARR ENT.
• On his 2020 EP Welcome to GStarr Vol. 1, J.I highlights his Puerto Rican heritage with “Spanglish,” featuring Myke Towers.