Trinidadian German pop singer Haddaway is best known for his 1993 global smash “What Is Love,” which was later immortalized by Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan in their “Roxbury Guys” sketch on Saturday Night Live.
• Born in Trinidad, Haddaway grew up in Chicago and the greater Washington, D.C., area. Before finding fame as a singer, he dropped out of medical school and worked as a marketing executive in Germany.
• “What Is Love,” his debut single, hit No. 1 in six countries and reached No. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Haddaway his first and only Top 40 US pop hit.
• Thanks largely to “What Is Love,” Haddaway’s 1993 debut LP, The Album, sold more than a million copies worldwide, reaching No. 5 in Germany and No. 9 in the UK.
• Haddaway’s second single, 1993’s “Life,” was also a hit, reaching the Top 10 in nine countries, including Germany, where it peaked at No. 2.
• Though he had chart success with singles through the ’90s, Haddaway’s subsequent albums were less commercially successful. His most release, 2011’s Gotta Be, missed the charts.
BORNJanuary 9, 1965