What So Not
About What So Not
Originally a duo comprising producers Emoh Instead and Flume—and now a solo vehicle for the former—What So Not championed the sound of future bass in the mid-2010s and became one of Australia’s most illustrious electronic music outfits.
• Emoh Instead, aka Chris Emerson, was working as an accountant when he began moonlighting as a DJ at local Australian nightclubs. Harley Streten, aka Flume, who had already generated a cult following with his off-kilter sound design, lived nearby and shared Emoh’s experimental gusto. They joined forces in 2011.
• Their sultry 2015 single “Gemini,” featuring George Maple, sparked imitations within the experimental bass music world.
• Streten bid the group adieu following the release of 2015’s Gemini EP, electing to focus exclusively on his thriving solo career under the Flume masthead.
• Now a solo act, What So Not linked up with bass music nobility RL Grime and Skrillex for the rumbling 2016 collaborative single “Waiting.” Grime teased the track’s release via one of his famous Halloween mixes.
• What So Not’s 2018 debut album, Not All The Beautiful Things, features electronic music stars like Skrillex and San Holo—plus “Africa” rockers TOTO.