About Tobe Nwigwe
When a career-ending injury crushed his NFL dreams, rapper Tobe Nwigwe dedicated himself to motivating others to find their purpose through performing arts.
• Before music, Nwigwe was a star linebacker for the University of North Texas. A disastrous foot injury forced him to change course.
• By 2010, Nwigwe had discovered his new calling: He cofounded TeamGINI, a nonprofit dedicated to helping children find their purpose through edutainment.
• Nwigwe was discovered in 2017 by “hip-hop preacher” Eric Thomas. Impressed by a production that Nwigwe put on for the children, Thomas offered to financially support his musical pursuits.
• In 2018, Nwigwe released THE ORIGINALS., a collection of songs accompanied by vibrant, color-coded visuals. The project was celebrated by neo-soul icon Jill Scott, who shared the cover art on Facebook, calling the work genius.
• Nwigwe’s 2020 release The Pandemic Project is a series of singles recorded throughout the pandemic, plus thoughtfully crafted, pastel-colored music videos.
• One of the project’s most popular songs, “I Need You To (Breonna Taylor),” is a protest track calling for justice for Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain, Black people killed at the hands of police.