Nigeria-born rapper Thutmose’s fierce freestyling capabilities broke him to the mainstream. He remains there thanks to his ability to continuously make huge songs.
• Born in Lagos, Thutmose fled to New York with family after a 2002 armory explosion that killed more than a thousand people and displaced thousands more.
• He dropped out of college after a year of studying computer science to pursue music full-time.
• Thutmose released his first song in 2016 and went viral in 2017 with a freestyle over Kendrick Lamar’s “Humble” beat.
• His guitar-driven 2018 song “Run Wild,” featuring German producer NoMBe, became a theme for the EA Sports video game FIFA World Cup 2018. He released an EP of the same name that year.
• In 2018 still, Thutmose released his debut album, Man On Fire, and appeared on the soundtrack for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.