About Steve Angello
Best known for his work with Swedish House Mafia, DJ and producer Steve Angello has been an influential presence in the electronic music scene since the early 2000s.
• Born in Greece and raised in Sweden, Angello learned to scratch DJ when he was 12 and spent his teenage years in battle competitions.
• In his late teens, Angello began to produce and DJ electronic music. By 2001, he was releasing tech-house tunes under a variety of aliases, sometimes alongside fellow Swede Sebastian Ingrosso.
• He formed the label Size Records in 2003.
• Throughout the 2000s, he worked closely with fellow Swedish producers Ingrosso, Eric Prydz, and Axwell. They jokingly referred to themselves as the “Swedish House Mafia.”
• Under the name Supermongo (later Supermode), he and Axwell released the tune “Tell Me Why” in 2006. Interpolating two songs by the ’80s synth-pop group Bronski Beat, “Tell Me Why” charted in numerous European countries, including the UK, where it went Top 20.
• Angello earned his first US chart success with the 2007 David Guetta collaboration “Baby When the Light,” a Top 5 hit on Billboard’s Dance / Mix Show Airplay chart.
• His biggest solo hit came with his 2008’s remix of Robin S’s ’90s anthem “Show Me Love.” A collaboration with Laidback Luke, the song reached No. 1 on the UK dance chart.
• In 2008, Angello, Axwell, and Ingrosso made the Swedish House Mafia an official group. (Prydz declined to join.) They went on to become leaders of the EDM scene.
• SHM’s 2012 track “Don’t You Worry Child” hit No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the pop charts in the UK. The trio disbanded in 2013.
• Angello released two solo albums in the years that followed. Wild Youth (2016) was electronic pop, while Human (2018) was darker and more synth-heavy.
• Exactly five years after Swedish House Mafia’s last concert at Ultra Music Festival, the trio re-emerged to headline the Miami event in 2018. A world tour followed.
• Angello has been nominated for two Best Dance Recording Grammys, both for songs with Swedish House Mafia (“Save the World” and “Don’t You Worry Child”).
BORNNovember 22, 1982