By adding unique hip-hop flows to beats informed by Afrobeats and dancehall, British rapper Sneakbo became a pioneer of the Afroswing movement.
• Sneakbo is of Nigerian descent. Growing up in Brixton, South London, he listened to a combination of Afrobeat, dancehall, and American hip-hop.
• He got the streets moving with his 2010 single “Touch Ah Button,” which samples Jamaican dancehall star Vybz Kartel.
• Drake praised Sneakbo for rapping over dancehall beats and cited the UK rapper as an influence on his 2011 album Take Care.
• After a string of singles and mixtapes, Sneakbo released his debut studio album, Brixton, in 2018. The LP features artists like Not3s and Conor Maynard.
• His 2020 sophomore album, 9 Lives, plays on an urban legend that Sneakbo once escaped a threatening situation by transforming into a black cat.
HOMETOWNPutney, West London, England