Formed in Australia, based in the UK, the chart-topping drum ’n’ bass group Pendulum is known for incorporating heavy rock elements into their thumping electronic sound.
• Pendulum cofounders Rob Swire and Gareth McGrillen grew up playing together in rock and metal bands in Perth. They eventually began producing drum ’n’ bass tracks and linked up with DJ Paul “El Hornet” Harding to form a trio.
• The group broke through with the 2003 single “Vault,” a favorite in the D’n’B community.
• After moving to the UK, Pendulum released their 2005 debut album, Hold Your Colour. One of the best-selling drum ‘n’ bass albums of all time, the LP yielded the Top 40 UK single “Slam/Out Here.”
• Featuring a more rock-oriented sound, 2008’s Driven peaked at No. 2 on the UK charts and spawned the Top 10 hit “Propane Nightmares.” The LP went Top 10 in the group’s native Australia.
• Their third album, 2010’s Immersion, topped the UK charts. “Watercolour” became Pendulum’s highest-charting UK single up to that point, reaching No. 4.
• In 2018, Pendulum released The Reworks, featuring remixes of earlier songs by major players like Skrillex, Moby, and Noisia.