About Parov Stelar
Austrian DJ and producer Parov Stelar is known as the founder of electro swing, which pairs samples of ’20s and ’30s jazz recordings with modern dance beats.
• The artist born Marcus Füreder studied applied design at the University of Art and Design in his hometown of Linz. He began making music without any formal training.
• He founded his own label, Etage Noir Recordings, in the early 2000s and released his debut album, Rough Cuts, in 2004.
• Although he’s best known for sampling vintage swing records, Stelar isn’t a one-trick pony. He’s also interested in soul and pop—check out his 2013 track “Keep on Dancing,” which samples the Marvin Gaye classic “Got to Give It Up.”
• Stelar has also proven his mettle as a remixer, putting his unique spin on Lana Del Rey’s “Dark Paradise” in 2013 and Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett’s “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” in 2014.
• Over the years, he’s acquired nine of Austria’s prestigious Amadeus Music Awards, including Album of the Year for 2013’s The Princess and Best Live Act in both 2013 and 2014.
• His 2015 LP The Demon Diaries reached No. 1 in his native Austria.
BORNNovember 27, 1974