About Luke James
R&B singer and songwriter Luke James has written for superstars like Britney Spears and Justin Bieber and earned multiple Grammy nominations for his own material.
• The New Orleans native moved to LA after high school as part of the R&B trio Upskale. The group soon became a duo, Luke & Q, which recorded the 2006 single “My Turn” and toured with LL Cool J.
• After Luke & Q lost their record deal, James focused on songwriting. He cowrote Britney Spears’ “Kill The Lights,” Justin Bieber’s “That Should Be Me,” and Chris Brown’s “Crawl,” among other songs.
• James’ 2012 single “I Want You” earned him a Grammy nomination for Best R&B Performance. He lost to Usher’s “Climax.”
• He released his self-titled debut album in 2014. Rick Ross features on the single “Options.”
• In 2020, James earned a Grammy nomination for Best R&B Album for his independently released LP to feel love/d. John Legend’s Bigger Love took home the prize.
• James is also an actor. He portrayed Johnny Gill in the 2017 BET miniseries The New Edition Story and played the part of Diddy in the 10-episode USA Network series Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and The Notorious B.I.G.
HOMETOWNNew Orleans, LA
BORNJune 13, 1984