French rapper Kekra won over a global audience with his signature sound—a blend of French rhymes, UK grime, and American trap—all while concealing his identity behind a mask.
• Born in France, the mysterious MC has Moroccan roots. He sometimes drops Arabic lines into his raps.
• Kekra kicked off his career in 2015 with his first mixtape, Freebase, Vol. 01, and an appearance on the French remix of Fetty Wap’s hallmark hit “Trap Queen.”
• In 2018, Kekra issued his debut album, Land, his first record to crack the Top 40 of the French albums chart.
• Featuring French rap heavyweight Niska, the title track from 2019’s Vréalité became his biggest hit to date, reaching No. 38 on the French pop charts.
• Kekra released Freebase, Vol. 04 in 2020. Arriving at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, each physical copy of the project came with a mask.