About Katie Melua
With her sophisticated blend of jazz, folk, blues, and pop, Georgian British singer-songwriter Katie Melua is a superstar throughout Europe.
• Melua was born in Georgia when it was still part of the USSR and raised in Belfast. She got into music as a child via her uncle, who’d play Queen and Led Zeppelin records.
• In 2000, Melua won the “Stars Up Their Noses” talent competition on the British children’s game show Mad for It.
• The singer later studied music at London’s BRIT School for the Performing Arts. While performing at a school showcase, she met her future manager and producer, Mike Batt.
• In 2003, Melua released her debut album, Call Off the Search, via Batt’s label, Dramatico Records. It spent six weeks atop the UK chart and went sextuple platinum.
• The singer’s 2005 sophomore album, Piece by Piece, hit No. 1 in the UK, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, and Poland. The following year, Melua was the UK’s top-selling female artist.