About Jennifer Hudson
Singer and actress Jennifer Hudson has conquered music, television, film, and the Broadway stage.
• The Chicago native grew up admiring legendary female vocalists like Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin and Patti LaBelle.
• In 2004, Hudson earned national recognition as a finalist on the third season of American Idol.
• Hudson’s status continued to rise in 2006, when she played Effie White in the film adaptation of the musical Dreamgirls, costarring Beyoncé, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy. Her performance earned her an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
• In 2008, Hudson released her self-titled debut album, which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 chart and won a Grammy for Best R&B Album.
• In 2015, Hudson made her Broadway debut by playing Shug Avery in The Color Purple.
• Hudson continued growing her film career with roles in Sex and the City (2008), The Secret Life of Bees (2008), Winnie Mandela (2011) and Cats (2019).
• Hudson was cast to portray her idol Aretha Franklin in the 2021 biopic Respect.
BORNSeptember 12, 1981