About Jamie xx
Jamie xx made his name as the producer behind the trailblazing London indie band The xx. The visionary beatmaker subsequently embarked on an auspicious solo career boosted by early cosigns from Gil Scott-Heron and Drake.
• As a child, Jamie was introduced to dance music by a couple of uncles who were DJs. One sent him music mixes, while the other taught him how to mix records.
• After joining his friends to form The xx, he produced the band’s groundbreaking 2009 self-titled debut. The album reached No. 3 on the UK charts, went double platinum, and earned the Mercury Prize in 2010.
• In 2011, Jamie teamed up with veteran spoken-word artist Gil Scott-Heron on We’re New Here, a remix album of Scott-Heron’s 2010 LP I’m New Here. The collaboration arrived just months before Scott-Heron’s death.
• Jamie’s remix of Scott-Heron’s “I’ll Take Care of You” forms the basis of Drake and Rihanna’s 2011 smash “Take Care.”
• His 2015 debut solo album, In Colour, reached No. 3 in the UK and topped Billboard’s Top Dance/Electronic Albums chart. It also earned nominations for a Grammy (Best Dance/Electronic Album) and that year’s Mercury Prize.
• He composed the score for 2015’s Tree of Codes ballet for the Manchester International Festival.
BORNOctober 28, 1988