English synth-pop duo Hurts have released a string of studio albums since 2010, though their biggest success came as the featured artist on Calvin Harris and Alesso’s No. 1 hit “Under Control” in 2013.
• Singer Theo Hutchcraft and multi-instrumentalist Adam Anderson formed Hurts in 2009 after collaborating in other groups, including Bureau and Daggers.
• Hurts quickly found success with their debut album, 2010’s Happiness, which reached No. 4 in the UK—their highest charting release so far.
• “Stay,” a single from the album, appeared on the soundtrack to the 2011 German film Kokowääh, reached No. 3 on the German singles chart, and won Best Soundtrack for German Film at the MTV Germany Movie Awards.
• “Under Control”—a progressive house jam that charted around the world and reached No. 1 in the UK—credits Hurts alongside Calvin Harris and Swedish DJ Alesso. But it wasn’t really a Hurts effort. Hutchcraft cowrote and sang on the track—Anderson wasn’t involved.
• The duo’s second album, 2013’s Exile, became their second straight UK Top 10. Hurts’ subsequent albums have all reached the Top 30, with 2020’s Faith topping out at No. 21.