About Guy Sebastian
Since winning the first season of Australian Idol in 2003, Guy Sebastian has become a superstar in his home country, notching more than a dozen Top 10 singles and seven albums that have gone platinum or better.
• Sebastian took violin lessons as a kid and learned to play guitar, piano, and drums. He got his start singing at the Paradise Community Church in Australia.
• The aspiring singer enrolled in the University of South Australia to study medical radiation but left to pursue music.
• After winning Australian Idol, his single “Angels Brought Me Here” topped the charts in his home country and became the highest-selling single of 2003, going quintuple platinum. His debut album, Just As I Am, arrived that same year.
• He collaborated with songwriters like Robin Thicke and Brian McKnight for his second album, 2004’s Beautiful Life. Featuring more of a traditional R&B sound, the album reached No. 2 in Australia and spawned the No. 1 hit “Out With My Baby,” co-written by Thicke.
• As his career rolled along, Sebastian continued racking up No. 1 singles. He scored his sixth with 2012’s “Battles,” featuring rapper Lupe Fiasco. The song proved successful in the US, giving Sebastian his first hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
• Sebastian’s ninth album, 2020’s T.R.U.T.H., debuted at No. 1 on the Australian charts. It was his third chart-topping LP and first since 2012’s Armageddon.
• He served as a judge on multiple seasons of the Australian version of The X Factor and joined The Voice Australia as a coach in 2019.
BORNOctober 26, 1981