Slovenia-born DJ and producer Gramatik creates a highly original blend of hip-hop, soul, funk, and electronica.
• The artist born Denis Jašarević gravitated toward funk, jazz, soul, and blues as a youngster. He later found hip-hop and made his first beats on a home computer at age 13.
• After building an international following with his music, he moved to the US and released the 2008 albums Expedition 44 and SB1.
• In 2009, Gramatik signed with Pretty Lights Music, the label run by producer Derek Smith, aka Pretty Lights. In 2013, Gramatik founded his own label, Lowtemp music.
• Gramatik made the Top 20 of Billboard’s Top Dance/Electronic Albums chart with 2014’s The Age of Reason. He returned to the chart—narrowly missing the Top 20—with 2016’s Epigram.
• Gramatik has worked on several film soundtracks with fellow Slovenian producer Luxas. In 2020, the pair teamed up for Cyberpunk 2020, a soundtrack to an imagined film that was inspired by the struggles of 2020.
BORNOctober 19, 1984