Brooklyn rapper Desiigner scored a surprise No. 1 hit in 2016 with “Panda.” The single is built on a beat he purchased for $200.
• Desiigner is the grandson of blues musician Sidney “Guitar Crusher” Selby, whom he cites as his biggest influence.
• Inspired by the look of a white BMW X6, “Panda” hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and has garnered more than 900 million streams across platforms.
• In 2016, Desiigner inked a deal with G.O.O.D. Music, landed two features on Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo, and issued his debut full-length, New English, which peaked at No. 22 on the Billboard 200.
• Desiigner appeared on the 2016 XXL Freshman Class list and received a Best Rap Performance Grammy nomination for “Panda.”
• He’s not a one-hit wonder. His 2016 single “Tiimmy Turner” slipped into the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100. He also appears on Steve Aoki’s hit remix of K-pop outfit BTS’ 2017 single “Mic Drop.”
• In 2018, Desiigner dropped his final G.O.O.D. Music project, L.O.D., before departing to release subsequent records—such as 2020’s Diamonds Forever—through his independent label LOD Records.
HOMETOWNNew York, NY [Brooklyn]
BORNMay 3, 1997