Synth-pop singer Daya considered music more of a hobby while she was in high school in Pennsylvania, until a music producer she knew invited her to a songwriting session in Los Angeles.
• Daya began learning classical piano when she was three and later took up guitar, saxophone, and flute.
• She launched her career in 2015 with the Top 40 double-platinum single “Hide Away.” Her follow-up 2016 single, “Sit Still, Look Pretty,” also hit the Top 40.
• Though she makes electronic music, Daya cites Amy Winehouse, Sarah McLachlan, Dido, and Sia as formative influences.
• Her stage name means “sympathy,” “kindness,” or “compassion” in Pali, a sacred language related to Buddhism.
• Daya sang on The Chainsmokers’ 2016 hit “Don’t Let Me Down,” which won a Grammy for Best Dance Recording.