Color Me Badd
Singles & EPs
About Color Me Badd
The self-styled “hip-hop doo-wop” group Color Me Badd notched two No. 1 hits—“I Adore Mi Amor” and “All 4 Love”—during their early-’90s heyday.
• The original members of Color Me Badd connected in the school choir while attending Northwest Classen High School in Oklahoma City. They formed the group in 1985 with New Edition, New Kids on the Block, Sam Cooke, The Temptations, and Four Tops serving as their major influences.
• The group moved to New York City to pursue a record deal in 1989. When they auditioned for Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, the legendary producers suggested CMB celebrate their multicultural lineup by recording a song half in Spanish, half in English. The result was “I Adore Mi Amor,” which earned them a deal with Giant Records.
• In 1991, Color Me Badd released their debut album, C.M.B., which would go triple platinum in the US. The lead single, “I Wanna Sex You Up,” topped Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart and reached No. 2 on the Hot 100.
• The follow-up single, “I Adore Mi Amor,” went No. 1 on the Hot 100 and the R&B charts. The LP’s third single, “All 4 Love,” also reached No. 1 on the Hot 100.
• The group’s more ambitious sophomore album, 1993’s Time And Chance, failed to match the success of its predecessor. The singles “Time and Chance” and “Choose” missed the Top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100.
• After dropping their fourth studio album, 1998’s Awakening, Color Me Badd officially parted ways. The group re-emerged in 2010 and has continued performing with different lineups.
ORIGINOklahoma City, OK