About Black Pumas
The Austin psychedelic-soul outfit Black Pumas features two musicians who are 13 years apart in age yet fully aligned creatively.
• Singer, songwriter, and guitarist Eric Burton grew up in a religious household in Los Angeles. He sang in church, did some acting, and busked on the Santa Monica Pier before landing in Austin.
• Guitarist Adrinan Quesada spent 15 years playing with the Austin-based Latin funk band Grupo Fantasma. The group’s 2010 album El Existential won a Grammy for Best Latin Rock, Alternative or Urban Album.
• Burton and Quesada met through a mutual friend in 2017 and—realizing their unique chemistry—joined forces as Black Pumas.
• After signing with ATO Records, the duo released their self-titled debut album in 2019. They were nominated for Best New Artist at the 2020 Grammys.
• At the following year’s Grammys, Black Pumas was nominated for Album of the Year. The single “Colors” garnered two more nominations, for Record of the Year and Best American Roots Performance.