Blessed with a rich and powerful voice, American pop diva Anastacia became a superstar throughout Europe in the 2000s.
• Anastacia Lyn Newkirk was raised in Chicago and New York City by a Broadway actress mother. The estranged relationship with her lounge-singing father inspired the 2004 hit “Left Outside Alone.”
• Before stepping into the spotlight, Anastacia danced in music videos, including Salt-N-Pepa’s “Twist and Shout.” She also sang backup for Tiffany, Paula Abdul, and Jamie Foxx.
• After becoming a finalist on the MTV talent-search series The Cut in the late ’90s, she earned a deal with Epic Records.
• Beginning with 2000 debut, Not That Kind, Anastacia became an international star in her 30s. Her first three studio albums sold well throughout Europe and spawned a series of hits. In the UK, she notched 12 Top 40 hits between 2000 and 2005.
• Despite Anastacia’s success abroad, her 2000 debut single, “I’m Outta Love,” stands as her only American pop hit. It scraped the bottom of the Billboard Hot 100.
• “I’m Outta Love” began a run of five Top 10 hits on Billboard’s Dance Club Songs chart. “One Day In Your Life” and “Love Is a Crime” both reached No. 1.
• Anastacia battled breast cancer in 2003 and again in 2013. She returned in 2014 with the album Resurrection, followed by Evolution in 2017.
BORNSeptember 17, 1968