Pop singer Alsou was 16 when she represented Russia in the 2000 Eurovision Song Contest, finishing second in the competition with the English-language tune “Solo”.
• Alsou was born in Bugulma, Tatarstan. She lived in Siberia and Moscow—then New York City and London—before finding fame.
• Her self-titled 2001 album includes “Solo” and also “You’re My #1”, a duet with Enrique Iglesias. The English-language release was Alsou’s second LP, following her 1999 Russian-language debut, Алсу.
• She dueted with Jon Bon Jovi in 2003 on a version of his band’s ’80s classic “Livin’ on a Prayer”.
• In 2005, Alsou had a role in the British horror movie Spirit Trap, which included her song “Teardrops” over the credits.
• Along with five albums in Russian and two in English, Alsou released Родная речь. Туган тел, her first Tatar-language effort, in 2008. She also released a children’s album, Фея добрых снов, in 2011.