Trailblazing Brazilian singer and songwriter Anitta has broken cultural boundaries and given her country’s music an international spotlight.
• Born in Rio de Janeiro, Anitta began singing in the church choir at age eight and later took dance lessons.
• The artist’s stage name is inspired by the main character in the Brazilian mini-series Presença de Anita.
• Anitta released her 2011 debut single, “Eu Vou Ficar”, after signing with Furacão 2000, the record label known for popularizing the Brazilian style of music known as “funk carioca”.
• At age 17, she won the Revelation of Music award from Brazil’s APCA (São Paulo Association of Art Critics). That same year, she signed with Warner Music Group and released her eponymous debut album, which reached No. 1 in Brazil.
• In 2016, Anitta made her debut as a TV hostess on the third season of Música Boa Ao Vivo and performed at the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Rio.
• She released her 2017 English-language debut single, “Will I See You”, on songwriter and producer Poo Bear’s album Poo Bear Presents Bearthday Music.
• “Downtown”, her 2017 collaboration with J Balvin, went Top 20 on Billboard’s Hot Latin Songs chart. In 2018, she again linked with Balvin, plus Aruban singer Jeon, for “Machika”, a No. 1 hit on Billboard’s Latin Airplay chart.
• Her fourth LP, 2019’s Kisses, is a trilingual audiovisual album. She sings in Portugese, Spanish and English, and each song has its own video.
• Anitta’s 2020 single “Me Gusta”, featuring Cardi B and Myke Towers, reached No. 5 on Billboard’s Hot Latin Songs chart.
HOMETOWNRio De Janeiro, Brazil
BORN30 March 1993