About Azealia Banks
With her house-infused sound, profane lyrics and unapologetic nature, rapper Azealia Banks is one of the most controversial figures in modern hip-hop.
• The Harlem native attended the famed Fiorello H. Laguardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts and starred in the play City of Angels at age 16. An agent caught her performance and sent her on auditions for TBS, Nickelodeon, and Law & Order.
• In 2008, Banks adopted the stage name Miss Bank$ and released the songs "Gimme a Chance" and "Seventeen" for free download.
• After a brief stint on XL Recordings, the rapper officially became Azealia Banks and released her signature hit, 2011’s “212”, off her 1991 EP. The single went Top 20 in the UK.
• Banks’ 2014 debut album, Broke with Expensive Taste, cracked the Top 5 of Billboard’s Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
• In 2017, Banks starred in the musical drama Love Beats Rhymes, directed by Wu-Tang Clan mastermind RZA.
• Banks has an alter ego named Yung Rapunxel, whom she describes as “that girl who pisses people off but doesn’t really mean to”.
HOMETOWNNew York, NY [Harlem]
BORN31 May 1991