English singer, songwriter, and producer Låpsley makes soulful, atmospheric electronic music that uses pitch-shifted vocals to explore different points of view.
• Growing up, Holly Låpsley Fletcher played oboe in Liverpool’s Sefton Youth Orchestra. She also learned classical guitar, piano and drums.
• She cultivated an appetite for electronic music as a teenager, sneaking out at night to attend raves in Liverpool. She taught herself GarageBand and began producing her own electronic music.
• In 2014, she broke onto the British airwaves with her weightless single “Painter (Valentine)”, which received heavy daytime airplay from BBC Radio 1.
• Her 2016 debut album, Long Way Home, went Top 40 on the UK charts.
• Låpsley’s moody track “8896”—originally off her 2015 Understudy EP—landed on the soundtrack of the 2016 indie film American Honey, starring Shia LaBeouf.
• On her 2020 sophomore album, Through Water, Låpsley explores personal coming-of-age stories atop minimalist electronic backings.
HOMETOWNSouthport, Merseyside, England
BORN07 August 1996