About Jessica Mauboy
Having found fame as a runner-up on Australian Idol in 2006, pop and R&B singer-songwriter Jessica Mauboy has racked up two-dozen Top 40 hits in her home country.
• As a teenager, Mauboy won a talent contest connected with a local country music festival. She earned a deal with Sony Music and recorded a country version of Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”.
• Two years later, she appeared on Australian Idol, finishing in second. Her 2007 live album The Journey went Top 5 in Australia.
• Her 2008 debut studio album, Been Waiting, yielded three Top 10 Australian hits, including “Burn”, which reached No. 1.
• By 2011’s Get ’Em Girls, Mauboy had stepped out of the teen-pop box. Featuring such guests as Snoop Dogg and Ludacris, the album spent 19 weeks on the Australian charts, peaking at No. 6.
• In 2019, Mauboy topped the Aussie charts with her fourth album, Hilda, named after a grandmother she never got to meet.
• During the mid-2010s, Mauboy starred on the Australian TV series The Secret Daughter for two seasons. Her 2016 soundtrack album The Secret Daughter: Songs from the Original TV Series topped the Australian charts. The following year’s sequel reached No 2.
• Outside of music and television, Mauboy starred alongside Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush in the 2010 film Bran Nue Dae. She later appeared in The Sapphires, starring Chris O’Dowd.
BORN04 August 1989