English singer Nao describes her music as “wonky funk,” a vivacious sound that’s earned her a following on both sides of the Atlantic.
• Nao studied vocal jazz at London’s Guildhall School of Music & Drama. This led to her singing backup for artists like Jarvis Cocker and Kwabs.
• From 2098 to 2014, she was a member of the all-female cappella group The Boxettes.
• Her 2014 debut EP, So Good, caught the ear of influential BBC DJ Zane Lowe, who named it his “Next Hype Record.”
• A second EP, February 15, arrived in early 2015. That same year, she teamed up with the electronic duo Disclosure for “Superego,” off their album Caracal.
• She released her debut album, For All We Know, in 2016. Blending pop, R&B, funk, and electronic music, the LP reached No. 3 on Billboard’s Top Dance/Electronic Albums chart and cracked the Top 20 on the UK pop charts.
• Nao returned in 2018 with Saturn, named for an astrological phenomenon that involves Saturn returning to the place in the sky where it was when you were born.